For a massage spa to be successful, the spa owner must have the right massage therapists who will be able to meet the massage needs of the clients who come to the spa. The following is what a massage therapist should look out for when searching for a massage therapist:
- Training: The massage therapist should have undergone a 500 hours training from a legitimate training school before being hired. You should also look at how the past graduates from the school have been performing in the massage market. If you have worked with a person who graduated from that school in the past, consider how her performance was before thinking of hiring another person from the same school.
- Reference from their former employers: If the massage therapist you intend to hire has a past experience in massage, you should contact his previous employer to know how his performance was before hiring him. This will help you to find out if he can be trusted to provide massage therapy to your clients.
- Special certifications: You should also consider the area of specialty of the massage therapist before you can hire them. Some of the certifications include the ability to carry out a pregnancy massage, sports massage, among others. This will make your spa stand out from the competitions and earn you a better reputation among your clients.
- Customers’ preference: Some of the clients who come to your spa may have relocated from another place where they used to go to another massage spa for their massage. Such clients may know a good massage therapist from their previous location and recommend them to you. A customer who recommends a massage therapist to you and you end up hiring him will be a loyal customer and you will get many more clients through her.
- Ask for recommendations from accredited massage schools: A well-established massage school will know the best massage therapists from among their trainees and they will be able to recommend them to you. Considering that they would not want to ruin their reputation, they will definitely give you the best.
If you cannot get good local recommendations, you can post in the massage careers job boards so that those who have the qualifications you are looking for can contact you. Out of the many that will send in their applications, you will settle for the one that best fits the kind of job you want them to accomplish.
Do not rush into making hasty decisions on the choice of a massage therapist as any wrong move will cost you. Massage therapy will involve an intimate connection with the clients and this will require someone of high moral standards. He should also be a person who loves his job so that he will be able to offer great massages to the clients which will make them keep coming back for more.
You may the most advanced equipment in your spa but if you do not have the right massage therapists for your spa, your huge investments may not earn you much return.